Friday, July 12, 2013

Liebster Award!!!



WOW! I am so flattered and excited that Jo Anne over at Teaching in Cardigans  nominated me for the Liebster Award! I have seen this award around the blog world and I am beyond ecstatic that I was nominated! Thank you so much Jo Anne!!! :)

The "Rules" to Accept the Award:
  • Link back to the blog that nominated me
  • Nominate 5-11 blogs with fewer than 200 followers
  • Answer the questions posted for you by your nominator
  • Share 11 random facts about yourself
  • Create 11 questions for your nominees
  • Contact your nominees and let them know you nominated them
Blogs I'm Nominating: 
Jo Anne's Questions:
  1. What was your most memorable teaching moment? 
    • Picking one memory is a tough one...However, I would probably say the most memorable teaching moment I have had was when a student, that was "labeled" a trouble maker from previous teachers, ended up being one of my favorite students. I think this is one of my most memorable teaching moments because I worked hard with this child and he passed the EOG's for the first time when I had him in fifth grade. It was a learning experience for me because it truly taught me that sometimes our students respond to different teachers in different ways. It also taught me not to always listen to previous teachers, regarding behavior, and let all students have a fresh start in my classroom without a "label!"
  2. What has been the most exciting thing you've done this summer?
    • This summer is my first summer off after a two year master's program, so everyday is exciting. I have gone to Washington, D.C. and to Folly, S.C. for two different vacations, but my most exciting thing was probably this past week. I have spent two days canning pickles, salsa, and freezing corn with the help from my dear ole grandmother and one of my great friends. I am trying to learn this lost art that is EXTREMELY time consuming to say the least. Now, I will have salsa, pickles, and corn all winter, Oh My! :) 
  3. What was your favorite TV show as a child in the grade that you teach?
    • When I was in fourth grade, my favorite show was 7th Heaven. My mom and I would sit down and watch this show every week together. I still remember to this day learning about the concentration camps during WWII through 7th Heaven and my mom explaining that awful time in our history to me.
  4. What do you keep in the trunk of your car?
    • Usually I try and keep my trunk clean. At all times, we have an emergency car kit that stays back there and truthfully, I probably wouldn't know what to do with it if I needed it. It's not a survival kit, it's like tools and stuff you need to fix something that is DEFINITELY not in my area of specialty! However, right now we have boogie boards form the beach still back their (embarrassed, we have been home for two weeks)!
  5. Why did you decide to become a teacher?
    • When I was in high school, I was a lifeguard and one of the job requirements was to teach swimming lessons. While I was teaching swimming lessons, one child had worked really hard all week to get the basic arm stroke down and on the last day something just clicked. The child got this look in their eyes and it literally lit up my world. I was addicted to the look children get with they "get it." I still get to see that look in the classroom and I don't have to get cold from getting in the water! :)
  6. If you could have had the starring role in one film already made, which movie would you pick?
    • If I could have the starring role in ONE film, I would pick Reece Witherspoon in This Means War because she gets to act beside two leading men that are (in my opinion) very gorgeous. Plus, Reece is one of my favorite actresses.
  7. What are your favorite books about teaching?
    • My favorite books about teaching are: The Leader in Me by Stephen Covey and Teach Like a Pirate by Dave Burgess.
  8. If your house was burning down, what three objects would you save?
    • The three objects I would take are: 1) Binx, my cat! 2) My cellphone to call the fire department! 3) My purse so that I would still have my ID's. However, knowing my true addiction to my computer, I would probably grab that prior to #2 or #3. Binx would be a definite though! 
  9. What thought or message would you want to put in a fortune cookie?
    • "Wrong is Wrong even if everybody is doing it. Right is right even if no one is doing it."
  10. What is one item that you really should throw away, but probably never will?
    • My very first pair of rainbow flip-flops. I have had them since I was a sophomore in HIGH SCHOOL and while they are very raggedy, I just can't throw them away. 
  11. If you had to give up a favorite food, which would be the most difficult to give up? 
    • Hands down, no doubt: CHEESE DIP. Sadly, I'm addicted.

11 Random facts about me:

  1. I am addicted to making flipcharts for my classroom. (Flipcharts are through Promethean's ActivInspire program.)
  2. I LOVE, LOVE coffee. It's an every morning thing for me.
  3. I HATE, HATE cold weather, which is odd since I went to college in a place that snows from October to April some years. Speaking of Appalachian, we went on a family vacation with my husband's family and some of their friends a couple of years ago. There was a total of 11 people and all but 1 had attended App at some point. The only person who has not attended was my niece who was one at the time.
  4. I love to run. I just started in February and I am training for a 10k right now. One day I want to run a 1/2 marathon so I'm pretty sure it's a lifestyle choice, not a phase I'm going through.
  5. I enjoy watching reality television and my favorite shows right now are Big Brother and Pretty Wicked Moms.
  6. My husband and I were high school sweet hearts and so were both of our parents.
  7. I love clipart and making activities for my classroom.
  8. I love getting to watch the TODAY show in the summer time.
  9. I am a pet lover and I REALLY want a Goldendoodle or a Labradoodle. 
  10. When I go to the beach I just like to tan and read. I get in the water sometimes, but I don't really want to move, just bake.
  11. I am terrified of spiders and snakes and really ALL creepy crawlers. 

11 Questions for my Nominees:

  1. If you had to describe yourself using only three adjectives, what would they be and why?
  2. What is your favorite stress reliever during the school year?
  3. Do you use reading workshops in your classroom. If so, what do you think about it?
  4. If you could go back and relive one teaching experience you've had what would it be? Positive or Negative.
  5. What are your hobbies?
  6. What is your all time favorite lesson?
  7. What is your all time favorite recipe?
  8. If you could go anywhere in the world, where would you go?
  9. If you had unlimited money, what would you buy for your classroom?
  10. What advice would you give to someone interested in starting a blog?
  11. Are you an animal lover?

I look forward to making so many new blogger friends through this wonderful experience. Thank you again Jo Anne for this wonderful nomination. :)



4 comments:

  1. Oh wow, Allison! Thank you so much for the nomination! I am so excited! Congratulations on your nomination too!
    -Lisa
    Grade 4 Buzz

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on your Liebster Award! I have a pair of Rainbows that my principal passed on to me(we wear the same size) and I heart them. I really want another pair just like them in black, but can't find them anywhere. Sad face. I keep seeing Teach Like a Pirate on everyone's blogs, but never saw the author name. When I read Dave Burgess I started flipping out and had to go research because that is the name of my prior principal in another county. It wasn't him. Sad face again.
    Alison
    Rockin' and Lovin' Learnin'

    ReplyDelete
  3. Allison, thank you so much for the award. We are so excited! Thank you, thank you! I just finished reading Teach Like a Pirate and I LOVED it! It was fun reading all your answers and random things :) Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for the nomination! And congrats to you as well! Love your blog :)

    Hannah
    www.cuteintheclassroom.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete